Highly active working dogs, pregnant and nursing mother dogs, and underweight dogs may all benefit from a high-calorie diet or high-calorie supplements. High-calorie dog food includes real meat protein and essential minerals. You can buy commercial, high-calorie dog foods, but making the food at home ensures your dogs get the protein and amino acids they need and lets you customize the feed to your dog’s size. Many dog breeders and experts recommend a ground-meat-based recipe called Satin Balls.
- Open the tops of the12 freezer bags and place on counter.
- Mix the Total, oatmeal and wheat germ together in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, molasses and salt, and mix well.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl, then crush the eggshells and add into the mixture.
- Pour in the gelatin, and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add the raw hamburger and knead it until all ingredients are combined into a meatloaf consistency.
- Roll the mixture into 1 to 2 inch diameter meatballs.
- Place the meatballs into the freezer bags and store in your freezer until you are ready to use them. Feed them thawed and raw, as needed.